Social Media today has become a beast. Since its advent, it has become a sort of forever expanding universe in its own right. Who could have thought a few decades ago that one day you could talk to a friend who’s miles away from you or you may learn something without a college and formal degree but social media has made it possible? It has changed the world and still has the ability to do so.
Social media today has enormous potential. From sharing your ideas to a worldwide platform to connect with people far distanced from you. To learn something new to creating a revolution. Social media, if used sensibility, ethically and with a good end in mind can change the world. With such a giant, it’s often helpful if you have someone who can control it.
Corporations spend billions of dollars on hiring people who know how to manage social media for making their products visible to a large audience base. Someone who can shape their ideas before they make their way on the internet to maximize output with least input. A Social Media Manager is exactly that.
Social media management is a tedious and testing task, to say the least bu,t does not let that discourage you for it is equally paying and easy to learn. It is one of the most in-demand skills right now with the potential to disrupt the market and no, you don’t need an MBA degree from Wharton or Stanford. What you need is a skillset with a few things I’m going to tell you about.
Why Become a social media manager?
Social media has a huge potential we’ve already discussed. Everyone from huge multinationals to celebrities, from startups to athletes are on social media. Nearly at every minute, millions, if not billions of posts are uploaded on social media.
In this huge influx of posts and ideas, it becomes quite difficult to penetrate to your target audience and to actually market your product then. A Social Media Manager does help in doing exactly that.
Skills Required to be a social media manager!!
Before getting into what kind of skills are desirable to be a social media manager, we must understand the work of such ma manager. Well, the work isn’t limited to just one thing or field. It encompasses a lot of things. For instance, a social media manager must know about best timings to upload a particular post, effective interaction with fans and consumers, effectively writing a post and promoting it expensive to reach the target audience as well as another social base that can be potential customers.
Hence, for being a social media manager requires many skills to be master at but all of those skills are learnable and acquirable. Skills such as effective communication, exceptional reach and marketing knowledge, knowledge of analytics etc are an absolute must to be a social media manager.
Things to Know Before Becoming a social media manager:
- The first and foremost thing is your acquaintance with social media. You should be aware of the latest happening in this world. You must know which social sites are generating the most traffic onto your site or to your business and which sites are trending among the people nowadays to target your marketing and engagement on that.
- Analytics form a large part of social media management. One has to know through his posts which are the times, tags, hashtags when their posts get maximum exposure and engagement. Same goes with knowing what kind of posts engage people the most. Though most of the sites do provide analytics and insights to check such engagement still, that engagement needs to be understood and then properly utilized in the form of better and perfectly timed posts in the future.
- A social media manager must know about marketing on various platforms. Though the systems of marketing are different for each of them, the underlying basic principles remain the same and one must understand that. It saves a lot of time and time equals money in the online world. Marketing forms the part and parcel of a social media manager’s life. He must first find his niche and then the target audience and form content accordingly for that has more probability to generate revenue.
- A social media manager must understand applications of various sorts of apps that help in engaging online. Apps like Buffer, AppSumo etc are tailor-made for social media managers.
- Communication forms the bedrock of social media management because if you look closely, you’ll see that in the end, it’s all about effectively curated, propagated and engagement worthy content that drives businesses. The core purpose of social media managing is to spread ideas effectively. Hence communication, both written (in the form of posts) and verbal (live engagements) are helpful in skyrocketing your career as a social media manager.
- Engagement with your fans and customers is also bare essentials. You must know what kind of content does your audience like and what they expect from you. Engaging with your audience on a regular basis helps you achieve exactly that. It allows your audience to provide you with their insights. One can take feedback from such insights and work up their content accordingly. It helps to make your business much more viable and better.
- Learn continuously. Learning from others who are better than you in any domain or in social media management, in general, helps you to grow better and that too without committing the same mistakes they did. You can learn from their mistakes and make your choices accordingly. The important thing is to be better and not get stuck in the same way. Social media is forever changing. One needs to adapt to the changing ways to be the best and what’s better than to learn from other’s mistakes.
In closing, it’s important that one knows how to go about social media managing. In the end, it all boils down to mastering certain skills and keep learning from the experience of others and of your own. Continuously evolving yourself and interacting with your audience can help in a longer run.